Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Astrology or Absurdity?

Upon reading staff writer Jacob Fulton's Chronicle story on horoscopes, I decided to give my thoughts.

The whole concept of horoscopes has always seemed hokey to me. The idea of a birthday determining a person's personality or fate seems irrational. I don't think being a Capricorn is the reason why I am 'practical' or 'determined'. I am who I am.

Here are my biggest issues with astrology.

1. There are so many astrology sites, it's impossible to know which one is correct.

There are thousands of different predictions for what my day is going to be like. Here are three predictions of my day today, all different. How would I know which site to trust?


2. Astrology doesn't have actual scientific proof behind it.

This cartoon from NASA says it best!










3. They recently 'changed' the dates of the signs.

A few months ago, there was controversy over whether horoscope signs were changing. Apparently, NASA had added a new thirteenth sign and that shifted all of the other signs. NASA was quick to shut down these claims, and it seems as if most people have already forgotten about the shake-up.

4. Astrologists online and in newspapers make money off of these cheap 'predictions'.

The reason why we see horoscope predictions so often is because they're easy to write. Most of the time they don't really require actual research because actual research can't be done.

5. The information in your horoscope is sometimes so general, it can fit for anyone, no matter what sign they are.

I just read through a website with horoscope predictions for today's date, and I could apply about half of them to my life currently. Maybe I'm a Capricorn, Gemini, Sagittarius, and Taurus trapped in one body, or maybe life is complex. Seems a little fishy to me.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the sham, but if you believe in horoscopes or think they're a fun way to kill some time, go for it! I'm not shaming you for your personal beliefs. I hope the stars will forever be in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment