Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Zombie Bell

Zoning out inevitable in final period, stifling classroom productivity

Juliana Discher I Staff Writer

Seventh bell teachers beware, your final class of the day is occupied by zombies: a glassy-eyed, weary swarm of the walking dead.

As the school transitions to the last bell of the day, students struggle to remain attentive and participate in class, according to sophomore Andrew Grimes.

“During seventh bell, I tend to look at the clock a lot,” Grimes said. “Time crawls by.”

Grimes said the switch from trimesters to semesters contributes to the lack of attentiveness students undergo.

“You’ve been through the whole day, and with the new seven bells your brain is tired out from having to think about six different things already, and then another separate thing,” Grimes said. “In my case, it’s Spanish, which is a completely different way of thinking.”

Though it may hinder learning time, biology teacher Robert Mitchell said he understands why students feel  uninspired during seventh period.

“There are days when I am completely worn out by seventh bell and I don’t have anything else to give,” Mitchell said.

The resemblance of students to zombies during last bell is accurate, according to Mitchell.
“Folks don’t say much and sit there like a bump on a log,” Mitchell said. “They appear to be in agony.”

Even though it’s easy to zone out, Mitchell said there are still ways to remain optimistic.

“I don’t know if it’s because the light at the end of the tunnel is there after going through six bells, but I can become quite ecstatic knowing that when the bell rings, it’s over,” Mitchell said.

According to Mitchell, the only way for students to get the most out of the period is to go into it with a positive mindset.

“My marathon coach told me when I was training for my first marathon that you want to finish strong,” Mitchell said. “Just push through and you will be rewarded for that.”

Full Story: http://thecspn.com/?p=25074

No comments:

Post a Comment