Monday, April 3, 2017

Youth and Government Conference 2017

Not many people can say they attended a government camp with notable alumni like Ohio U.S. Senator John Glenn and State Supreme Court Justice David Prosser.

From March 30 to April 1, I participated in Ohio YMCA Youth and Government Conference at the Statehouse in Columbus. Serving in the press, I covered the status of bills and news events going on. We ran a blog where we posted articles and various social media accounts.

YG gives students the opportunity to participate in realistic government functioning. Everything is totally interactive, so members can serve in the legislative branch and write a bill, serve as a judge in the judicial branch, run for an elected position, or serve in the press.

I was grateful for the chance to explore the beautiful Statehouse. The last time I had been was on a field trip in fourth grade, so it was fascinating to view it with new knowledge. I also had free reign of downtown Columbus. I went to a great sushi place called Rishi and a vegan restaurant called Market 65. But what I enjoyed most was the friendships I made in a few short days.

I was a bit nervous attending the conference as the only one from my school, but I quickly befriended several kind Colerain students. I met several other amazing people from the Cincinnati delegation and other great leaders from across Ohio. I appreciated meeting other students who were as driven and passionate about government as I am.

I am truly grateful to Jamond Foree of the Cincinnati YMCA for speaking to The Chronicle about attending. I would have never attended or known about the event if he had not reached out. I am grateful to all the friends I made and the fantastic press I had the opportunity to work with.

I would highly encourage Chronicle members and other Mason students to attend next year, either serving in the press or in a government position. Take a risk because you will not regret it. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions at jdischer.chronicle@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment